FreeCAD is a free and open-source (under the LGPLv2+ license) general-purpose parametric 3D CAD modeler, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits in a wider range of uses around engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialities. FreeCAD is currently in a beta stage of development.
FreeCAD is intended to make use of other open-source libraries from the field of scientific computing. Among them are Open CASCADE (a CAD kernel), Coin3D (an incarnation of Open Inventor), the Qt GUI framework, and Python, a popular scripting language. FreeCAD itself can also be used as a library by other programs.
There are moves to take FreeCAD into the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) sector and add building information modeling (BIM) functionality with the Arch Module.
- Home Page: http://www.freecadweb.org/
- Downloads: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=Download
- Forum: http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=3
- Documentation: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=Main_Page
- Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD
- Local: FreeCAD